Old July 22nd 03, 04:48 AM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:15:33 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

I didn't get my license until I was in my mid-40's, and now regret I
didn't get it a long time ago. Granted, I didn't get interested in the
ARS until the late 1990's, but if there is any advice I can give the
prospective ham is that "It's too much fun, don't waste ANY time getting
your ticket!"

I was 8 (no typo, that's eight) when I got interested in radio as a
hobby. I was 42 when I got my first ham license. I undoubtedly could
have passed the written tests through General while I was still in
high school. The main reason I didn't was the code test. Of course, I
didn't spend the intervening years in a vacuum - I learned a lot about
computers, and I spent a lot of time twiddling the dials on a general
coverage receiver and playing with scanners and thus still dabbled in
radio. Even did the 11-meter bit for awhile, until the supposed
"energy crisis" in 1977 led to the CB craze of the late 1970's and
everybody and their brother crowded onto what was then just 23
channels and began ignoring Part 95, thus ruining the band forever.

For what it's worth, I would and do give prospective hams pretty much
the same advice - take ten bucks down to the very next VE session you
can make and keep taking written tests until you flunk one or run out
of tests to take. If you know Morse, take Element one as well, if not,
you have a year to learn it before your CSCEs run out, and once you
pass it once you never have to touch it again if you don't want to.
Seems that in this area, about one or two in ten end up pursuing the
use of CW once they've passed the 5 WPM test (i.e. actually use the
mode on the air to make one or more contacts). On the other hand, I
know a couple of folks who have had a General ticket for over a year
and haven't even operated on HF yet, including at least one who has a
working HF station in the house (spouse uses it) but simply prefers
ragchewing with friends on two meters instead.

Again, to each their own - my feeling is, it's all radio regardless of
what mode one chooses to employ, and upon satisfying the licensing
requirements that happen to be in effect at the time one takes the
tests, it's up to each individual ham to decide how he or she wishes
to make use of the privileges that license bestows - and it is not up
to me to judge how someone else chooses to enjoy the hobby.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ