Old January 20th 04, 03:43 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

Hi Steve

"Steve Nosko" wrote in message
Nice numbers, Adam. I'm only interesetd in the Hustler. Are these all
with very small reactance?--That is, insignificant relative to the real
part?

I haven't measured yet, but this says that on 40 we have a 2 : 1 SWR and

on
80 it is about 2.4 : 1...?

Please indicate how you got these numbers.

What vehicle ?

Dodge Durango

Where is the antenna mounted ?

Ball mount on the right rear where you can get at the back from in the car.

What type of antenna mount ?

ball

How is the feed line shield connected to the vehicle ? (I put a jumper

from
the mount "ground" to the trunk lid to get rid of 20M flakies.)

Coax connector of the ball mount and 2" copper strap. Feed is less than 1
foot.

How did you measure them -- assuming they are measured...?

MFJ analyzer measured R at resonance (reactance is zero)
I then use a toroidal autoformer to get 50 ohms.
73
H.
NQ5H

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H" wrote in message
QST
It's been a while since I posted all that bazooka data that made me

stick
dipoles, so here goes:
I've been using Hustlers mobile for almost 40 years and find them

adequate;
The mast I bought in 1970 only recently failed.
I'm reworking my HF mobile installation around a TS-480HX and decided to
graduate to a screwdriver. I bought a Tarheel 200.
I prefer to operate a mobile antenna at it's resonant frequency and

match
the impedance of the transmission line with a transformer.
So here I present the resonant feedpoint impedances of a Hustler (small
resonators), the Tarheel 200 screwdriver and a 103" whip on a bug

catcher
on
a 54" Hustler base. All antennas on the same ball mount. Measurements by
MFJ. "Resonant" implies X=0.

band Hustler Screwdriver 103"/BugCatcher/54"
80 21 ohms 9 ohms 23 ohms
40 25 11 na
20 30 30
10 40 32

I really thought the huge bug catcher would do better.
The screwdriver shows encouraging results for signal improvement over

the
others on 80 and 40.
Seems the diameter of that bottom conductor on the screwdriver makes a

big
difference at the lower frequencies.
Since the TS-480HX has two antenna jacks, I think an additional small
screwdriver is in order; One for 80-20; One for 20-6.
73
H.
NQ5H