Old July 22nd 03, 06:47 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Radio Amateur KC2HMZ
writes:

I received my U.K. call, G0LYW, in 1989 whilst stationed at RAF
Mildenhall, UK. I operated mainly 40- and 20-meter CW, and, oddly
enough, a bunch of 2-meter SSB.

How were 2m operating conditions there, anyway? Seems like there might
be a lot of temperature inversion ducting going on with so much water
around. Just wondering.

John:

At the time, it was a VHF paradise. Great tropo-ducting openings which
pretty much covered most of Western Europe. I had a 7-element 2-meter
Yagi in my TV mast, and did quite well in spite of the fact that it wasn't
up very high (about 20' AGL). I had to keep below the peak of the roof
of my townhouse, so that's the best I could do.

As far as I'm concerned, the code testing debate started back in 1975
when the Communicator Class license was proposed. Unless a no-code
license was proposed before that, in which case, feel free to
enlighten me.

My own participation in the "online" code test debate dates back to
1991 when I returned from the UK and purchased my first US modem.
I had limited participation in Fidonet from the UK from late '89 to '91,
but at the time, the Ham Radio forum was tightly moderated, and anyone
with a pro-code stance was persona non-grata.

Therefore, before you judge me, you must understand where I've been
coming from throughout this debate -- that code testing imparts a
useful skill on radio amateurs, and increases their overall communications
capabilities. Those who don't know the code or use it regularly simply
are not qualified to judge those who support code testing requirements.

Ever heard this befo "Judge not, lest ye yourself be judged?"

Yup. However, I'm not "judging" anyone's soul here, just their relative
capabilities as a ham radio operator. That's a judgment I'm qualified to
make. One of the problems our society faces now is the lack of willingness
to be "judgmental." We have been indoctrinated by the liberal, political
elite to be "tolerant" of everyone's deficiencies, even when said
deficiencies are that individual's "choice." So, go ahead and call me
"intolerant" as well, because I'm certainly that!

I for one would like to see a little less judging and a little more
mutual respect for our fellow hams.

I see. And I also agree. However, I've spent the last 14 years in this
debate reacting to the blatant disrespect shown by the NCTA. Would
you care to comment on THEIR behaviour as well?

At the risk of sounding like a
broken record (anybody remember those?),

Yes, I do! Fortunately, all my music is now on CD's and cassette. You
see, I'm one of those technically-challenged pro-coders!

it's all radio regardless.

I've never said it was anything else.

Anyone who has bothered to obtain the license must have some interest
in radio, or so one might tend to think...so why not view that
interest as something in common and leave it at that?

I am more than willing to do so. However, when faced with the whining
objections of the NCTA, I will respond accordingly. Fair enough?

73 de Larry, K3LT