Old January 20th 04, 04:25 AM
H. Adam Stevens

No
It means there is less loss resistance.
The radiation resistance on 80 and 40 of all these short antennas is tiny, a
very few ohms.
At resonance the measured resistance is the sum of radiation and loss
resistance.
Matching the impedance at resonance results in the greatest measured field
strength, at least in my front pasture;
So making the antenna resonant, then matching the impedance, is my preferred
approach.
Using reactances to do that is the same as the bazooka antenna: storing
energy in tank circuits; A lossy enterprise.
Funny thing about this stuff, I built my first crystal set in 1956, my first
transmitter in 1961 and I'm not bored yet.
73
H.
NQ5H

"Craig Buck" wrote in message
Doesn't; the Screwdriver's low feedpoint impendence mean it will be less
efficient not more?
--
Radio K4ia
Craig "Buck"
"H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H" wrote in message
QST
It's been a while since I posted all that bazooka data that made me

stick
dipoles, so here goes:
I've been using Hustlers mobile for almost 40 years and find them

adequate;
The mast I bought in 1970 only recently failed.
I'm reworking my HF mobile installation around a TS-480HX and decided to
graduate to a screwdriver. I bought a Tarheel 200.
I prefer to operate a mobile antenna at it's resonant frequency and

match
the impedance of the transmission line with a transformer.
So here I present the resonant feedpoint impedances of a Hustler (small
resonators), the Tarheel 200 screwdriver and a 103" whip on a bug

catcher
on
a 54" Hustler base. All antennas on the same ball mount. Measurements by
MFJ. "Resonant" implies X=0.

band Hustler Screwdriver 103"/BugCatcher/54"
80 21 ohms 9 ohms 23 ohms
40 25 11 na
20 30 30
10 40 32

I really thought the huge bug catcher would do better.
The screwdriver shows encouraging results for signal improvement over

the
others on 80 and 40.
Seems the diameter of that bottom conductor on the screwdriver makes a

big
difference at the lower frequencies.
Since the TS-480HX has two antenna jacks, I think an additional small
screwdriver is in order; One for 80-20; One for 20-6.
73
H.
NQ5H