Old July 24th 03, 02:33 AM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:40:53 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

If you think about it, it is logical. There is no particular effect on
the FCC one way or the other wheether there is a code test or not. VE's
are doing the examinations, and as far as I know, the test doesn't make
for any extra work at all for the FCC. So they probably don't care very
much when it happens.

I also don't think the code test makes much extra work for FCC. It saw
to that itself when it quit keeping track of which Technicians have
Element 1 credit and which do not.

Which either meant that:

(1) Somebody at FCC dropped the ball when they forgot to provision for
the new license database to contain that information (and they decided
to leave said ball on the ground rather than try to recover it. Why?
Maybe because FCC at that point had quit caring which Technicians had
Element 1 credit and which did not? if so, that carries some
interesting implications, doesn't it?), or

(2) The whole exercise was a test to see if Techs with no code credit
would invade the HF bands now that nobody could really tell for sure
if they had privileges there or not - in which case we seem to have
passed the test since as far as I can see, that didn't happen.

But, I digress. However you arrive at it, it seems that no, FCC would
appear to have no reason to care about the chronology here.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ