Old January 20th 04, 11:52 AM
Floyd Sense

I'm located quite a way from any city noise sources, and all power lines in
the area are underground. On my inverted L for 160, my noise level peaks at
S1 on 160 and that's with the pre-amp on. I'd consider an S8 noise level
intolerable! A K9AY loop might be worth trying, depending upon the source
of your noise. It has a pretty good steerable null and will help if the
noise is coming from one direction.

73, K8AC

"Metalhead" wrote in message
I have just recently put up a 160 meter inverted L antenna. I briefly
had up a shortened inverted V which I had up for about 1 year. I know
that 160 is a noisy band, but I am curious what kind of noise levels
others normally get on 160. With the inverted V, I would get about a
S7 noise level. On the inverted L, I get an S8 noise level (with the
noise blanker on.) I understand that the vertical will pick up more
man made noise and I do have my share of power line noise here on my
small city lot. Is this typically normal or is this extremely noisy
for 160? Just curious what kinds of noise levels others get. I am
going eventually put up a small receiving loop for 160 meters in the
future.

Thanks for any input.

Burch
K4QXX