Old July 24th 03, 05:06 PM
Bill Sohl

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI"

wrote in message

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message
.61...
Kim,

I don't think that you mentioned the
only practical use for CW, today. In
an emergency operation one can use CW
almost as a cipher. If Newsreporters, whom
possess "investigative skills", were to
attempt their intercepts by a scanner,
then they would simply have no
comprehension.

With all due respect, William (or is it Bill), seems that deliberately
coding/encrypting on the amateur bands is contrary to the R&R, if ya

know
what I mean. And, it also seems to me that any reporter with really

good
investigative skills would be well aware of your scenario, above.

Now Ive heard everything. CW is now a method of encryption. Oh good

grief.

That is a first. I never thought Id live so long as to see so much

idiocy
about the Morse Code. Unbelievable

Dan/W4NTI

Dan, you really should stop being so reactionary. Perhaps you'll re-read
the comment "In an emergency operation one can use CW almost as a

cipher."
Then, perhaps you'll look at my response in a different light. I was
remarking on the fact that William (Bill) was promoting the idea that CW
is/can be used as a cipher. That would not be legal in any way,

Bzzt!

Wrong...use of CW with recognized character set is never illegal.
If you believe otherwise, please post the appropriate Part 97
rule. It matters not what the intent might be (i.e. to shield certain
information from media reporters)...as long as conventional
character set is used, it ain't illegal.

and
promoting the idea of CW as being a way to "cipher" information is quite
misleading, don't you think?

Personally I could care less. No different than if two hams
are having a QSO in another language than English because
they know few reporters or others that might be listening
can't understand it.

Sheesh, take some time off...

Looking forward to doing exactly that :-) :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK