Old July 25th 03, 10:33 PM
Jim Hampton

Len,

I didn't want to mention the cause of my complaint of cut and paste. One of
our college graduates at work told me (why would he lie about this?) he did
his thesis using cut and paste from other papers on the internet. Perhaps
you missed the point; at some point in time, someone has to put the
*original* information into the computer and on the internet. This seems to
be the point you missed. Sure, I did 90 on a 100 wpm teletype. Perhaps you
mistakenly assume that I can't do 30 on a keyboard? (Har har-de-har!). Cut
and paste is most certainly *very* useful. I just don't see using cut and
paste to pass someone else's work off as your own.

As far as testing, I have a concern that a lot of folks don't want any
testing. Sure, enjoy it when someone has a shoot-out on 11 meters (or 10)
running 10,000 or 20,000 watts next door to you. Perhaps I misunderstand
your last statement "it's better that amateurs learn a bit more technology
than Ohm's law". The lab I may be moving into has an interesting power
supply ... 30,000 volts at 20 ma. Sure, why bother to learn interesting
things concerning relationships between voltage, resistance, and current.
The nice thing about that is, the dang fool who doesn't care and gets into
that lab may do us a favor and remove his genes from the gene pool. As far
as typewriting, might I gently enquire as to how you managed to post your
response to my post? Are you using a Windows based keyboard and clicking
your mouse over the letters? (how modern!). Or, perhaps, you are using a
most modern keyboard - Dang! That sure looks like a ... um ... gee, the
layout looks very much like those old typewriters. Frankly, I'm not worried
about code or typing - I'd like to see some safety issues and relevant
theory covered, but perhaps that is asking too much. Why is it when we
mention typing, everyone assumes an old fashioned typewriter. Typing is
typing, whether on a computer or an old fashioned linotype machine. I'd
love to see all of these lovely 'modern' folks get the information into the
computer in the first place without copying it from someone else. I've
helped some of those younger folks ... "the mouse is f****d up". Pick his
hand up off the mouse, turn the mouse 180 degrees so the cable comes off of
the back end rather than towards the front, and put his hand back on the
mouse. Yep, I love you smart, modern, young folks! BWAAaahahahah!

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - better put the guy with a mouse problem on an emergency keyboard
circuit. Could prove interesting, especially since he could hunt-and-peck
perhaps 15 words per minute.

---