Old January 20th 04, 04:01 PM
Steve Nosko

OK, nice to know, but I thought the OP was questioning using separate
resistors. OR did I miss the implication that the idea was to wind his/her
own?

Coupling two (probably wire-wound) resistors (coils) of unknown internal
physical construction seems very dubious to me. They aren't constructed to
get a specified inductive coupling. They typically will go side-by-side,
but not end-to-end very well. As you say "closely coupled" I think is the
key.

If you CAN get coupling (of two _individual_ coils-resistors) , won't it
be selective rather than broad band (the normal purpose for wanting non
inductive in the first place)? Isn't broad-band and parallel wire windings
pretty much synonymous? Like in Baluns? I'd have to see how these
non-inductive, wirewound resistors are wound. My "you can't get something
for nothing" bone says its a critical and precise construction.

I should stop here because I think I've already gone from true familiarity
to speculation - albeit interesting and supposedly educated speculation, but
speculation none the less.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:43:47 -0600, "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

a CW coil won't somehow subtract the inductance of a CCW coil.

Sure it will, if the two windings are closely coupled. That's how
"non-inductive" wirewound resistors are made. I put non-inductive in
quotes because the cancellation is rarely if ever perfect and some
inductance almost certainly remains, but it is a long-used technique.

--
Bill, W6WRT