Old March 7th 21, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Ken Layton Ken Layton is offline

Default What is the best handheld scanner on the market today?

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:58:22 AM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the 8500.

From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
for my location. Your location probably had different needs. Are you thinking
of upgrading or just want a new scanner?

--
Tekkie

I was thinking of upgrading to a digital scanner. Our county dispatch radio system had a bond issue approved by voters two years ago to switch the entire Thurston County ( in Olympia, Washington) to digital. This would mean police, fire, search & rescue, public works, dogcatcher, and city buses would go digital. There's a big fly in the ointment though. They didn't count on all the businesses closed for a year and no tax revenue coming into the government coffers because of the corona. So the county may not have the money to convert.