Old July 27th 03, 06:27 AM
Len Over 21

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

You are wrong in my example of the younger guy with the mouse. It happened.
Really. You and I are closer than you think.

Okay, so some younger person doesn't know about mice. :-)

As I stated, I am not worried over Morse.

I'm not worried either. To me, it's all those morse-uber-alles
in der Amatur SchutzStaffel who demand morsemanship as some
kind of manhood equivalent in radio. :-)

As far as the high powered HF, most of the HF was nowhere near
30 MHz. You know that and don't try and tell me otherwise.

I really have no idea of what frequencies you transmitted at in the
US military. At Army station ADA the HF transmitters were
pushing out somewhere between 200 to 300 KW total between
4 and about 20 MHz. Most transmitters could cover 3 to 22 MHz
if necessary.

I've been INSIDE a much lower frequency installation with MW
output.

When you talk
volts per meter, there is a difference between 30 and 15 MHz and a much
bigger difference between 15 MHz and 1.5 MHz (near the top end of the AM
broadcast band).

Oh, I think I know the EM spectrum with some familiarlity... :-)

When I got into the Big Leagues of HF communications we had terms
of "Megacycles" and "Kilocycles" and used the old phonetic alphabet.
Little tiny capacitors were valued in "micro-micro farads" or "uuF." :-)

In 1955 the US military cut over to the NATO phonetic alphabet and
we also had to learn the "scientific" names for values and their
multipliers. Radio theory remained the same...and still does.

Please do us both a favor and don't assume that I don't
know what I'm talking about. That will save us both a lot of time (and
typing!)

No problem with me as long as you return the favor.

I write in perhaps more detail than the usual suspects in here, but
only because other types want to engage in meaningless flames
over words/phrases. By explaining things in public, that lessens the
counterproductive bull**** that those others start. :-)

Now I'm waiting for Col. Klink of the A.S.S., the garbageman, and the
pedantic parson to jump in with more unproductive nonsense, shouted
orders, and the usual personal attacks. :-)

LHA