Old July 27th 03, 02:30 PM
Vshah101

Default Amateur Radio "outside the box"

Amateur radio "outside the box"

Although there are many possible amateur-radio activities, Hams tend to focus
on a certain group of activities. Often, they are followed in the manner
accepted by tradition.

The typical Ham activity is making short QSOs for contests and awards. Contests
are events where Hams try to make as many contacts on specified bands as
possible. Awards are often given by how many locations are contacted
("worked"). For example, there are Worked All States, Worked 100 countries,
etc. Notice that traditional Ham radio awards are given for the number of
contacts or for how many contacts in a given time period.

This is a competitive activity. Hams compete to obtain the best contest score,
or to obtain award certificates. Hams seem to have this type of mode of
operation, and it seems to be the same at almost every club. I have nothing
against competition. Also, I have nothing against Hams doing what they enjoy
doing. But, I would like to point out that there are other types of competition
possible. And there are other types of activities and interests.

Because no such clubs exist right now that cater to these interests, there is
no avenue for one to pursue these interests. Things like expense and the large
amount of time it takes for an individual (vs a group who share an interest),
tend to not allow these new interests to surface. Also, the current group of
Hams wants to do things their way and have little acceptance for different
types of activities. By not providing an avenue for others to pursue their
interests, these other Amateur-radio activities do not get done. Some people
would become frustrated when they go to clubs and no one shares their
interests. This has the effect of reducing the number of people that stay in
the hobby.

-------
Here are some other possibilities in amateur radio.

More radio direction finding challenges.
The gaming aspect of this activity is appealing to some. Also, it uses more
physical activity than sitting at a station making contacts.

Homebrewing challenges.
Lets have some homebrewing challenges. How about building small circuits, e.g.
using SMT? I don't see small batteries at Hamfests, so I know this isn't being
done. How about ATV using a homebrewed project?

Often Hams will not show interest in a project, just because it doesn't hook up
to their radio. Just because a particular rf project may not involve a radio
(for example, radio controlled planes), shouldn't make it off limits. If its
rf, its still radio. How about radio controlled planes, Doppler radar, or
VHF/UHF amplifiers?

APRS.
Lets get more people using the capabilities of APRS. All I see at Hamfests is a
map with active locations showing. New interesting applications should be
tested. Perhaps tracking a radio in a car. How about having both cars move, and
one follows the other using APRS. Most Hams do not do this. This would be an
interesting group activity.

Training.
Lets have dedicated training. Either in the clubs, or as training seminars for
better amateur radio operation, emergency preparedness, etc. Clubs often just
have one lecture and then some club business. Better to have some demo setups
and have people use some radios. More training should be offered. However, I
don't know how many Hams would like that or would be willing to pay for
training. Topics could include: generator power, connector assembly, antenna
tuning and setup, troubleshooting. Perhaps some rf measurements training. Maybe
some circuit design topics.

DXpeditions.
Enjoy a DXpedition. One thing I have noticed is that Hams often go to
DXpeditions and don't do anything other than operate radios. At one club
meeting I went to, one person gave a presentation about how he went to this
exotic location and all he did is setup antennas, and make contacts. He had
nothing to say about that location. At a Hamfest, I saw a film of another group
of Hams going to another country and all they did is setup antennas and make
contacts.

I went to a DXpedition - definitely a vacation spot- with a group of Hams. I
saw this tendency firsthand. They did exactly the same thing! I wanted to go to
the beach, take a drive, etc., but the Hams were only interested in making
radio contacts on various modes.

I don't see the point of the DXpedition. Were they doing a duty to that
location, making sure the location is activated and gets QSOs? Working the
location for a few hours qualifies as getting the benefits of working that
location. There is no need to work the location for 8+ hours. They made
contacts for hours throughout the day and through Saturday night.

It seems the only non-radio activity Hams participate is in eating. (I did
manage to get a few road trips because I volunteered to pick up food. Most of
the Hams stayed at the shack.) They missed out on the scenic beach, the small
town atmosphere. What's the point of going to a vacation location if the
experience is the same as working QSOs at home? There needs to be some balance.

Yesterday, I went to that club's cookout. As usual, the club was mostly older
males. There were one woman. She asked what we did at the DXpedition. Perhaps
she might attend next year's event. One of the people that went there said all
they did is operate radios. The woman asked, "Is that all you did? You didn't
go to the beach or anything?" I imagine, going to a vacation spot and not doing
any vacation stuff is not appealing to women and young people. Also, the idea
of making repeated contacts at a radio is boring to some people. Ham radio has
a social component as well as a technical component. If you make the social
aspect intolerable, few will want to stay in the hobby. Ham radio probably
loses a lot of people this way.

Meetings at different places.
Hams have club meetings and other events. Often, these events are food related.
Barbecues, weekly Saturday breakfasts, etc.

My suggestion is that instead of meeting weekly to eat, why not meet at a new
"fun" place each week. How about the park, a boat ride, etc. Make it a new
place every week. Cost is not the problem. Often these events cost less than
the overpriced breakfast buffet. It may take some work (mostly scheduling and
informing people), but not much. And it's well worth it.

Meet a Ham.
And lets try to contact Hams, not just short QSOs to work bands or locations
for awards. This includes developing lasting contacts. And even the possibility
to meet your contact off the air.

-------
Lets overcome one's limitations, compete, and have fun. Feel free to add to
this list. Feel free to do amateur radio "outside the box".