Old July 27th 03, 09:57 PM
D. Stussy

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
FCC rules have NOT changed (yet) ... Techs are STILL not allowed
HF privs unless they have passed, and have documented credit for,
the 5 wpm Morse test ...

I disagree - they don't even have that anymore. Techs who have the element 1
credit in hand CANNOT operate on HF, because 47 CFR 97.301(e) has TWO
requirements, the second one being compliance with an international regulation
that now no longer exists. Since there is no way to be in compliance with the
rescinded regulation, the second condition can NOT be met, and therefore, no
"technician plus" licensee (or equivalent) and no novice licensee has any HF
privileges. By the stated condition, the privilege was rescinded on July 5,
2003, when the international regulation effectively disappeared.

Note that .301(e) is NOT written like the rest of .301, which defines operating
privilege based solely on license class, which is in turn based solely on
element credit (in .501).

Had the regulation been written in such a way that it indicated licensees who
hold element 1 credit may operate (see list below), then I would agree that
nothing had changed. It's NOT written that way.

Don't let the writers in this thread talk you into ILLEGAL operation.