Old July 29th 03, 06:33 AM
Len Over 21

Default The Morse Code Requirement - Is It Really The Reason People Turn Away?

In article ,
(Robert Hartung) writes:

The Morse Code Requirement
Is It Really The Reason People Turn Away?

Many people feel that the Morse Code requirement is the SOLE reason
why many people turn away from Amateur Radio. Well one group dose,
No-Code International, an organization dedicated to the abolition of
the Morse Code requirement for Amateur Radio licenses.

In this writers opinion, the code is only one of many reasons why
people turn away from Amateur Radio. Another, is the people already in
the hobby. If you been reviewing my website, you can see how the
people, not just the code requirement, can make, or brake a hobby. If
the people act no better then CB Agitator, or a show of being better
then others, can drive people away.

Let's not forget, many local clubs and members try to drive
undesirables away. Who is an undesirable? Well, undesirable are people
who have already join the hobby for reason other then local Clubs and
their members reasons. It varies from area too area, but it's somewhat
the same.

1) If you join the hobby to take advantage of the 2 meter and 70cm
bands and don't upgrade to the HF bands. Because, you like to talk to
family and friends. You could careless about DXing, filling your walls
with QSL cards, and etc.

2) You don't use as many "Q" signals as possible. Yes, I know they
were invented solely for CW and are totally inappropriate for bands
above 6 meters FM, but they are fun and entertaining. "I'm going to
QSY to the phone." Can you really change frequencies to the phone? QSL
used to mean, "I am acknowledging receipt", but now it appears to
mean, "yes" or "OK". I guess I missed it when the ARRL changed the
meaning. It is also best to use "OK" and "QSL" together.

3) Not following local codes of conducts, or rules made up by the
local clubs and not the FCC. For example, always giving the calls of
yourself and everyone who is (or has been) in the group, whether they
are still there or not. While this has been unnecessary for years, it
is still a great memory test. You may also use "and the group" if you
are an "old timer" or just have a bad memory.

All the above can classify you as an undesirable, and get you a life
sentence of ridicule, rude comments intended to make fun of your lack
of desire to upgrade, or your unwillingness to follow the leader. For
example, say you don't wish to upgrade, then your marked as being to
lazy to take the code test, or unable due to a lack of IQ.

If this is their idea of encouragement, well it doesn't seem like it
to me, it's down right RUDE, and drives people away. Which is the
whole idea, but is that really such a good idea?

If we destroy our own, then how do we expect newcomers to view us? If
your trying to buildup a hobby, then you need to deal with diversity,
not destroy it. Being difference from what is normal or expected is a
good thing. It helps make life, or in the care of amateur radio, a
much more divers, interesting and fun filled hobby. It's not the same
old thing, different day.

This will help bring new blood to the hobby, thus bring fresh, and new
ideas with it.

Robert, that's a fresher new look to the subject. I would agree with it.

Problem is, you will be villified in here, in this newsgroup by the
Kode Klutz Klan regulars. Their whole "amateur radio" experience
seems to be lurking and jumping all over any NCTA, throwing as
much garbage and filth as they can ON the person.

May the force be with you, and may the farce not stay your way.

Best Regards,
LHA