Old July 30th 03, 03:31 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article ,
(Robert Hartung) writes:

If we destroy our own, then how do we expect newcomers to view us? If
your trying to buildup a hobby, then you need to deal with diversity,
not destroy it. Being difference from what is normal or expected is a
good thing. It helps make life, or in the care of amateur radio, a
much more divers, interesting and fun filled hobby. It's not the same
old thing, different day.

This will help bring new blood to the hobby, thus bring fresh, and new
ideas with it.

Robert:

We eliminated code testing for the Technician-class license in 1991, in order
to bring "new blood" and "fresh new ideas" to the hobby. We completely
"restructured" the licensing system in 2000 for the same reason. After all
those changes, where are the "fresh new ideas?" What are we doing now
that is radically different from what we were doing 12 years ago, or 3 years
ago? Where is all the fantastic new high-speed digital communications
technology we were promised? About the only new modes to come into
widespread use since then is PSK-31, but that wasn't invented by U.S.
No-Code Technicians or 5-WPM General/Extras. Packet radio is pretty
much gone from the U.S. amateur radio landscape, and never even saw
widespread use at 9600-baud while it was still "popular." The Internet
has pretty much cancelled out every prospect of creating a high-speed
wireless infrastructure on amateur radio frequencies, save for a few
isolated enclaves with a high population of hams who work as
professionals in the communications technology field.

For the most part, the "newcomers" to ham radio are just doing what they
have always done -- yakking on the local repeaters, whining about the code,
and doing just about anything BUT educating themselves in high-tech
digital modes and experimenting with them. And they come pre-loaded
with all of the traditional excuses for serious involvement, such as no
time due to work and family commitments, no money, etc. etc. etc…
I think you need to face the plain truth -- ham radio is dying because
the same newcomers who are expected to save it are simply incapable of
doing so!

73 de Larry, K3LT