Old July 30th 03, 12:11 PM
Brian

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Brian) writes:

Also, as a government agency,
the FCC had to respond to a lot of political and social issues, and one of
the trickiest and most time consuming in the ARS was the concept of
medical waivers for code testing.

Naw, as code testing is completely unnecessary, keeping track of code
testing was a monumental waste of time.

Brian:

(Yawn!) Don't look now, but that's what I meant!

Then you should have said so.

So, dumbing-down to a single 5-WPM
code test was pretty much a no-brainer for them. Therefore, it wasn't

because
of a lack of valid arguments on the PCTA side.

Wrong. The FCC and NCI came to the same conclusion long ago:

Code Testing is completely unnecessary. Only the whining and crying
and the ITU kept it alive as long as it did.

I don't recall any "whining and crying" from the ITU. Through their
World Radiocommunication Conferences, they have a democratic process
for changing International Treaty radio regulations, with the member
administrations representing their own unique interests. Until WRC-03,
they had not seen fit to eliminate the S25.5 Morse code testing
requirement. Now, they have. No whining, no crying, just the usual
democratic process, applied fairly. I accept their decision, even though
I don't agree with it.

The whining and crying was done here by hams and to the FCC w/o ITU involvement.

Nothing we said could have
made them retain the status quo in code testing, because they wanted to
eliminate that particular administrative burden. As usual, it's all about
money.

73 de Larry, K3LT

As usual, it was about common sense. We finally got past the
emotional outbursts and the ITU requirement.

My recollection is that the "emotional outbursts" have been on the
NCTA side.

Strange. I recall the oposite.

The PCTA's always posed the logical, "common sense"
arguments. Get it right for once, please!

Keeping unnecessary "requirements?" That's just not logical.