Old June 11th 21, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
wicklowham wicklowham is offline

Default [WB4SON] Owning a Flex-6600M is a mixed bag

On 10/06/2021 18:37, WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

WB4SON

Owning a Flex-6600M is a mixed bag

https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4429

A lifetime ago (in other words the year before the pandemic,), I
purchased a FlexRadio Flex-6600M, along with a Maestro Control Console
for remote operation.Â* My first year of use was plagued with problems
with things that seemed basic to me; like the internal tuner simply
didnt work (refused to find solutions to situations that presented a 3:1
SWR).Â* The software was flaky, often requiring cold boots, and it
corrupted an internal flash card several times.Â* While certain parts of
the radio fascinated me, it was so frustrating to use that I left it
unused almost a year.Â* That was very disappointing, as it was the only
radio I was aware of that allowed for remote CW (although CW on a Flex
is VERY glitchy).

A couple of months ago, Flex introduced a new firmware upgrade that
fixed the tuner issue (after a year of complaints).Â* It now works
flawlessly, and appears to handle a 10:1 situation.Â* In many ways, the
radio seemed more stable, but after a few weeks of operation the radio
would refuse to work on power-up.Â* Flex service responded, saying the
radio needed a cold reset (a rather long process).Â* That restored
operation, but it would fail again after a few days.Â* A promised
firmware update fixed that issue, and introduced other problems, which
is typical of FlexRadioÂ* a fix often results in other broken things.

So here is my dilemma, I really like the Flex6600MÂ* it is a
fantastically versatile receiver (multi-receiver, actually), and it has
the best Noise Reduction Ive ever used on 80 meters.Â* I love being able
to use it from an iPad or iPhone, remotely.Â* And important to me, it is
the only radio that I know of that allows for remote CW operation (my
Yaesu FTDX-101MP with LAN adapter does not).Â* However, Flex software
updates tend to be buggy, and it appears that no one who understands a
CW operator was involved in the development of the software (no ability
to adjust weight, for example, and missing or shortened elements while
in break-in).

The latest software update, to fix some latency issues, and hopefully to
resolve the need for cold-resets, dropped a couple days ago.Â* Updating
the Flex6600M was fairly simple.Â* Updating the remote Maestro Control
Console was a major pain in the backside.Â* The process took over four
hours and requited user responses at least three of the times it applied
a partial update.Â* Flex blames it on Microsoft.Â* That may be true, but
sounds more like a poor design choice up front to me.

I still love it, and use it every week to participate in a late night CW
contest.Â* Like many things in life, it is a mix of good and bad.Â* I just
with FlexRadio would get serious about their software development, and
get it to the point where it was two steps forward and zero steps back.

Question from a Linux only user : Is there any Linux software to
operate the FLEX-6600M ?
If not ,it is a pity that most manufactured SDR equipment only works
with proprietory software.

Frank , EI7KS