Old August 2nd 03, 02:07 PM
Dave Heil

Vshah101 wrote:

From: ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)

After all
those changes, where are the "fresh new ideas?" What are we doing now

Simple, the old-timers are not interested in new ideas.

Your statement is not substantiated by fact.

One example would be holding on to Morse code and pressuring new Hams to learn Morse code and excluding those that don't want to learn Morse code.

The first part of your statement is not "an example" at all. Morse code
has demonstrated its usefulness and is still widely used in amateur
radio. Someone might "hold on" to morse code and be very active with
newer modes or might be involved in electronic circuit design.

The second part of your statement, the one about pressuring new Hams to
learn morse code is unsubstantiated by fact. Some new hams don't want
to learn morse code and don't. Some new hams find the world of HF radio
exciting and want to participate. They learn morse code. Some new hams
find HF interesting and have decided to "wait it out" in hopes that
there'll be no morse testing in the future.

The third part of your statement, dealing with the exclusion of those
who don't want to learn morse code, is unsubstantiated by fact. What
evidence can you present to support your claim? From what would these
folks be excluded? You've participated in meetings. You've been part
of operating events. How have you been excluded?

Another example is most
old timers want to just make random contacts and are not interested in the technical aspects of the hobby.

How do you know what "most old timers" do and what they are not
interested in? I know old timers who are very technically inclined and
I know others who participate in nets and who keep weekly or daily
skeds. Those are not "random contacts".

I have proposed new ideas, projects, etc. I didn't say I just want others to do those projects for me. I would help with those projects - if there were interest. I have asked to volunteer for those types of activities on several occasions. The old-timers in the club are NOT interested in those types of activities.

Nothing precludes you from tackling projects which interest you. "Old
timers" might not be interested in the particular projects you've
proposed. They might not be interested in such as group activities.
A third alternative is that your personality grates on them.

However, they will put extra effort into teaching code classes to
get people to operate Morse code.

Operate or learn? All of them, en masse put in extra effort or just
some of them put in extra effort? Why do you object if someone desires
to do something which is different than what you desire?

Don't blame the newcomers - its the old-timers that want to keep
things as they are.

First you'll have to come to an understanding of what it is which "old
timers" want before you begin to lecture us or them from your rather
shallow pool of knowledge on the subject.

Dave K8MN