Old August 2nd 03, 06:37 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Yep, As I was aware of that. And I never expected them to change

for
me
at
the last minute. BUT, I do believe that with enough warning ahead

of
time
it should be considered more than fair for a VE team to make an
adjustment.
It should be no problem for a VEC to be able to send via code

practice
oscillator!!!!!! Wouldn't that be a shame if the VEC's have

become
so
lazy
they can't even send a code test via a key because they are

relying
on
the
code CD's and tapes.

Where the hell did you think I expected to walk into a test

session
in
the
past, and at the last possible moment expect a major change?

They are supposed to make those provisions. If they did not, they

were
in
the wrong. However, I would not favor them using hand sent code

with
an
oscillator for two reasons. 1) Oscillators are often not

adjustable
in
pitch. 2) Some people who copy quite well have absolutely lousy

fists
and
do not send good clean code. It takes a pretty good op to copy some

of
the
people out there.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

And the fluctuation in CW skills is yet another reason to question its
validity as a testing element.

Kim W5TIT

That's false logic. One could apply the same to the variation in all

other
ham radio knowledge.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Exactly. Except that the written tests, by virtue of their being only one
right answer that has already been chosen to be the right one, is much

more
stable. Yes, sometimes the right answer isn't so right. BUT, by virtue

of
agreeing to take the test you have studied for, you are agreeing that the
right answers are right.

By your observation above, the CW test is dependent on tone quality, morse
style, etc. It is not a very stable test environment.

Kim W5TIT

Again your logic is faulty. The code test administration environment is
stable. The pitch is predefined. The speed is predefined. The tapes or
CDs are made using computer generated code, thus all the spacing is correct
and stable. In other words, at the test, one is listening to perfect code
and then there is only one right answer. It is even more perfect than the
written tests since some of those answers are a bit if you've actually
studied and learned the theory rather than memorizing questions and answers.

In both instances, code and written, the person is to pass the test and then
improve their abilities in the real world.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE