Old August 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
Vshah101

From: Dave Heil k8mn

Simple, the old-timers are not interested in new ideas.

Your statement is not substantiated by fact.

It is a broad generalization, which, unless there is a logical influence,
cannot support itself. However, I did not say 100% old-timer are not interested
in new ideas, just that there is a tendency for that in Ham radio. Thats my,
and other's, experience, so is not substantiated by fact.

The first part of your statement is not "an example" at all. Morse code
has demonstrated its usefulness and is still widely used in amateur
radio. Someone might "hold on" to morse code and be very active with
newer modes or might be involved in electronic circuit design.

In my local club newsletter. The club states that a new HF setup is keeping
with the goal of advancement of the radio art. However, the do little else
towards that effect, despite having alot of resourses which can be utilized for
technical activities. Also, few club members are interested in homebrewing,
despite claiming interest by posing for a photograph showing club members doing
a group project. So, the "advancement of the radio art" is just a justification
for more HF/CW activities.

The second part of your statement, the one about pressuring new Hams to
learn morse code is unsubstantiated by fact.

At various antenna setups, the other Hams try to persuade me to learn Morse
code. This has happened several times.

Some new hams don't want
to learn morse code and don't.

The third part of your statement, dealing with the exclusion of those
who don't want to learn morse code, is unsubstantiated by fact.

The ones that do become popular with the other club members. The ones that
don't want to learn Morse code become excluded.

How do you know what "most old timers" do and what they are not
interested in? I know old timers who are very technically inclined

All I can say is what I have found in my area and in several other states.
There have been exceptions of course, but it is too rare to be worth the
effort. I cannot search out the contradiction.