Old January 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Jimmy

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Jimmy wrote:

Is an antenna that is resonant on 10 meters still a 1/4 wavelength

antenna
if it is physically only 4ft long or would this be an 1/8 wavelength
antenna(more or less).I am saying this should be called an 1/8 wl

antenna
though I am arguing with those who generally know more more about this

than
I. Not all the old timers disagree with me, so I am betting this is a

pretty
common problem when discussing antennas.

What you have is a *physically* short antenna that is *electrically*

Does this mean that I can call a 5/8 antenna a 3/4? I would think it should
be one way or the other. I was really hoping for a more definative answer
than I have gotten here so far as there is a signiificant quantity of beer
at stake. I know what I have I just want someone to settle the argument on
what it should be called. In other words, should we use physical length or
electrical length to describe an antenna. It is my opinion that antennas
should be referenced by there physical length otherwise we will be giving
creedance to those who are trying to sell 5/8wl antennas that are physically
only an 1/8wl long.

1/4WL long. This usually involves a loading coil.

Also, the electrical length of a piece of coax is longer than it's
physical length because of the velocity factor less than 1.0.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp