Old August 3rd 03, 07:00 PM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

John:

Yep, it is true! I was once a CB'er, for a whole six months! I was the
Asst. Mgr. of the Radio Shack store in Depew, NY at the time,

We should have known ... "Radio Shack, you've got questions, we're
clueless," I'm sure Larry fit in quite well.

Carl:

Actually, I did fit into Radio Shack very well. I had a great time working
there,
was actually able to meet my sales quotas and make some real money, and
I had a lot of customers who would come into the store and ask for me by
name since I had a reputation for knowing what I was talking about and I was
willing to provide some actual customer service beyond taking money and
handing out receipts. I helped many customers with auto stereo and CB
installations, I did minor repairs in-store, and I'd drive all over Buffalo
doing
stock transfers in order to get customers things that my store didn't have
on hand at the time. I would have ultimately been a store manager if I had
not joined the Air Force at the urging of my best friend Fran, N2HMG.

Radio shack was a great place for a young person interested in electronics
to work in the early '70's. Today's R/S employees are nothing like us "old
timers" used to be. Today, I go into a R/S store and ask them about a
pay-as-you-go cell phone plan that they have mentioned on their own
store displays, and they don't know anything about it! Nothing technical,
just a matter of knowing the specifics of the plan! Sheez! My brother Tom
told me one of the best stories about current R/S cluelessness: He
went in to his local store and asked for a particular Operational Amplifier.
The salesfreak indignantly replied, "All of our amplifiers work, Sir!"

73 de Larry, K3LT