Old January 22nd 04, 12:26 AM
Jim

Pretty much agree with Doc, altho, after the last "restructureing", the
value of a
license is worthless! And now, the league wants to degrade it even more ??
Why even have a test?? Just issue licenses on the back of cereal boxes, or
inside
Cracker Jack boxes, or like about 45 years ago, when Popular Electronics
issued
their SWL calls (Think mine was WPE7AYQ) !! Or, even better: Lets auction
off
ALL THE SPECTRUM, for amateur bands to the highest bidders, and balance our
federal
deficit! Then we can ALL share the blissful 40 channels in the eleven meter
band!!
Maybe, also all those free band channels, up to, and sometimes includeing
the CW segment
of 10 meters!! Yeh, that the (pardon the pun) TICKET !! NN7K Jim

"'Doc" sent:
Gee... I thought the last restructuring was to streamline
the license classes, get rid of the under utilized 'entry'
class license(s), simplify things. Wasn't that the reasoning?
Now here we go 'cluttering' it up again.
Lets see, an 'entry' class license is to 'give people a
taste'
of ham radio, see if they like it, sort of an 'easy start'
license,
right? Seems like I've heard of that before (a few times,
actually).
Wasn't that what a couple of the licenses that got dumped in the
last restructuring were? And by all means, lets give that
'entry'
license a glitzy name so no one will recognize it for what it
is,
wouldn't want to make it obvious, would we? Make it easy for
others
to distinguish between them and the other licensee's? I mean,
you
wouldn't want to be able to 'point a finger' at operators who
are
out of bounds, for instance.
To me, an 'entry' class license shouldn't be 'for ever',
there
should be a reason to up-grade, right? How about making it for
limited duration, and non-renewable? Hmmm, where have I heard
that
before? (But you know what, it worked! Oh well, that's a good
reason
not to do it that way again, isn't it?)
What's the matter 'Mr. ARRL'? Not getting that 'huge' influx
of
new hams to buy your magazine? Don't you ever learn anything?
How
about doing what you're supposed to be doing? Hey, that would
be a
refreshing change!
'Doc