Old August 5th 03, 04:09 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

Radio shack was a great place for a young person interested in electronics
to work in the early '70's. Today's R/S employees are nothing like us

"old
timers" used to be.

Baloney ... I've (tried to) buy parts from time to time at R/S ... the folks
20 or more years ago were just as clueless as today from my experience.

Carl:

Nobody's going to deny that, especially not me! My own store manager
didn't know what the difference between a resistor and a capacitor was!
However, I'm willing to bet that in the early to mid-70's, there were a lot
more technically knowledgeable RS employees than there are now.

Today, I go into a R/S store and ask them about a
pay-as-you-go cell phone plan that they have mentioned on their own
store displays, and they don't know anything about it! Nothing technical,
just a matter of knowing the specifics of the plan! Sheez! My brother

Tom
told me one of the best stories about current R/S cluelessness: He
went in to his local store and asked for a particular Operational

Amplifier.
The salesfreak indignantly replied, "All of our amplifiers work, Sir!"

73 de Larry, K3LT

I knew that sooner or later this thread vis a vis Larry's history as
a CBer/radio shack employee would draw out the "But things
were different in the good old days and we were/are better than
the newbies today! ego trip ... :-)

Well, Carl, that's just the reality of the situation. You do understand
the concept of reality, don't you?

73 de Larry, K3LT