Old January 22nd 04, 10:19 AM
Mark Keith

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Mark Keith wrote:

"H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H" wrote:
band Hustler Screwdriver 103"/BugCatcher/54"
80 21 ohms 9 ohms 23 ohms
I really thought the huge bug catcher would do better.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the problem. Is the bugcatcher failing to
perform?

With that much whip and base section, the bugcatcher coil probably
had shorted turns to raise the resonant frequency. It is well known
that shorted turns on a high-Q coil lowers the Q. (Try a shorted turn
on an iron core choke.)

Shouldn't be that big a deal. I have some number of shorted turns on
mine all the time. Doesn't seem to hurt mine too much. Also my normal
"mast" is only wire . Not having a thick mast doesn't seem to hurt
much either in my case. Dunno...It still seems weird to me. That
bugcatcher should be the clear winner, unless the screwdriver is about
the same height, coil position, etc. MK