Old August 6th 03, 10:51 PM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:36:33 GMT, Dwight Stewart wrote:

Actually, my comment was a joke, Phil. Notice the "wink face" after that
paragraph. But, you're right - the FCC does depend mainly on complaints. In
many cases (VHF, local issues, and so on), there isn't much else they can
do.

At one time the FCC was putting up a network of remote VHF/UHF
receivers in various cities for monitoring and single-bearing df
purposes. Access was dial-up with multiple passwords, and the
system piped audio and bearing info back down the line over
voice-over modems. The test installaton that we used the most was
in St. Louis, MO.

Boston, Washington, and Los Angeles/San Diego had integrated
networks of multiple receivers constituting a real df system for
what we today call "Homeland Security" purposes. The California
system was funded by the Coast Guard who was the primary client, and
it was used very heavily for marine safety and rescue purposes.

With the funding cuts (a.k.a. The Great Rape) of the mid-90s the
rest of the system never got built. I don't know if the CG kept
up the maintenance funding on the system as they were 'sposed to do.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane