Old August 6th 03, 11:37 PM
Phil Kane

On 06 Aug 2003 22:21:48 GMT, N2EY wrote:

Sometimes. OTOH they sometimes cluster together and reinforce each
other when that is done. We had an example of that a few years ago on
a local repeater. Solution was to shut down the repeater when the bad
apples showed up, which deprived everyone of its use.

We ran into this in the 70s and 80s in San Francisco. The problem
there was that the goal of the "bad apples" was to shut the repeater
down.

After we hauled one of the ringleaders into Federal court on the
complaint of the N. Cal. DX Club (it was pure coincidence that the
judge was a classmate of the chief complainant) the problem abated
somewhat and the yoyos gathered on one particular machine which
gets shut down from time to time. And this was nothing compared to
the NUT machine.

Total dependence on enforcement and peer group rejection is not adequate if
basic "social" values are not inculcated into people's thinking.

For sure.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane