Old August 8th 03, 12:37 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

3) You seem to think that I am saying that no-coders have HF privileges.
That's the only thing I can conclude about your comment about dropping

code.
YOU ARE WRONG. I haven't said any such thing.

Accepted ...

I will probably regret responding to this, but I have to try *one* more time

What I said is that coded
Technicians and Novices have LOST HF privileges as a result of the
international change. Why? Because their right to operate HF was NOT

based on
holding "element 1 credit" (like that of the other license classes) but on

an
international requirement that has been eliminated (and replaced with a
national option) and with the referred to requirement gone, there is no

way
under the FCC's regulation that these licensees can show compliance with

the
non-existent requirement; thus, their HF privileges were CANCELLED.

Mr. Stussy,

Please read VERY SLOWLY:

The international requirement has not been eliminated, it has been changed.

It now says "Administrations SHALL determine ..."

In ITU-ese, "shall" is mandatory.

Therefore, the FCC is OBLIGATED to determine whether or not any
class of amateur license requires a Morse test.

Since the FCC had ALREADY determined that a 5 wpm Morse
test was required for HF access, it has already met that obligation.

Thus the existing FCC rules are "legal," nothing has changed,
and NOBODY has lost ANY privileges.

The fact that the FCC is free to make a NEW determination and
eliminate the Morse requirement from its own rules makes NO
difference.

I respectfully hope you get it this time ...

Carl - wk3c