Old January 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
andrew

In article , John Passaneau
writes
I wonder if the guys that are claiming that the license is so easy to get
could pass the test for their current grade? I bet a few of them would do a
lot worse than they would ever admit to.

As an ARRL Volunteer Examiner, I think the multiple guess tests are far
too easy. But, that is what is mandated to be the standard so that is
what we as examiners have to test!!!

Before the last restructure I always used to think the Advanced test was
the most difficult *technical* exam, but of course they done away with
that because it caused a major stumbling block for a lot of fairly non-
technical people trying for an Extra license. Isn't Amateur Radio a
technical pursuit? So shouldn't we be examining at the appropriate
technical level? Currently, we are not. The same happened with the
20wpm Morse test which they made a joke of by lowering it to 5wpm and
now they are killing it off completely. Maybe that was stopping people
getting to the top level when they weren't prepared to put in the
effort. That would never do in this day of 'everything for nothing'.

Welcome to the world of mediocrity which the RSGB in this country have
been pursuing for years by trying to kill off Morse testing (even though
the majority of their members voted to keep it!!!!!!). Of course, like
the squeaky wheel, they won in the end......

RIP Amateur Radio as a technical pursuit.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang
http://www.qsl.net/zl9ci/