Old January 22nd 04, 07:36 PM
Reg Edwards

Reg, is that superior to coax wound on the same toroid?
I use RG-400 teflon coax for my baluns.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

============================

Just compare the coax inner conductor diameter with the 18-gauge wire of the
zip-cord. Conductor resistance is inversely proportional to wire diameter.

Furthermore, the transition from 50-ohm to open-wire line is less abrupt.
In theory, the impedance of the line wound on the transformer should be
intermediate between coax Zo and open-wire Zo.

On the other hand, the difference in loss due to either effect is hardly
detectable. The length of line involned is too small to make much
difference. I shouldn't bother changing the design.

I can't imagine how the coax got in there in the first place.
---
Reg, G4FGQ