Old August 15th 03, 08:00 PM
Dave Heil

Brian wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...

I was "intimately" involved with HF communications across the Pacific in
the 1960's at hours of my own choosing. My station also worked across
the Atlantic and across the Indian Ocean. It did so with less power
than yours and I was still a teenager.

Was this an amateur station?

It most certainly was.

Cool. What amateur call sign did you use?

Mine.

Was it capable of only working over oceans, or could it work over land masses as well?

I wasn't simultaneously living on both coasts, Brian. Try to figure it
out.

Try not being so smug, David.

I wasn't being smug. I suggested that you ponder the question and try
to come up with a plausible answer.

You never did say where you were; where your station could work across
the Pacific ocean, and across the Indian and Atlantic oceans.

No, I didn't say. There are numerous places within the continent in
which we live where such is possible. Ponder the matter.

I'm
trying to think of a geographic location with "both coasts" and those
three oceans.

Keep pondering.

So kindly tell us what country that you operated from that had "both
coasts" and three oceans.

I never wrote that it "had" them. I wrote that I operated a station
capable to working across them.

I was "intimately" involved with HF military communications, working
transatlantic and transpacific paths using a variety of log periodic,
inverted discone and rhombic antennas and either 10 kw or 45 kw
transmitters from 1968-1970. The station was in operation 24/7 but I
generally pulled eight hour shifts...

Of your own choosing, right?

What's the difference for purposes of discussion? Do you know anyone
who ever worked 24 hour days for a solid week?

Your comment, "of my own choosing" sounds very odd for a military
radio station.

Those words don't appear in the paragraph concerning military
communications. You might want to read it again.

You said that you had an amateur station, and you pulled military
shifts of your own choosing.

I said nothing of the kind. If you have problems, maybe you can have
someone read it for you.

In your original statements above, did you really mean to string
together an amateur station from a country with two coasts and three
oceans, with your military station in Vietnam?

Those things were not strung together. Perhaps you can find someone
with writing skills explain the idea behind paragraphing.

I was "intimately" involved with in-country HF military operations for a
year in Vietnam.

I spent fifteen "intimate" years overseas with the U.S. Department of
State where I was responsible for all HF and VHF communications whether
by voice, asynchronous data or morse.

So this wasn't amateur radio either?

Read it again and perhaps you'll figure it out.

But I thought this group was to discuss amateur radio. And you do get
after Len for bringing up other services communications, however long
ago it may have been.

Where've you been? Did you read Len's material to which I replied?

I've spent forty years as an active radio amateur, operating various
modes on bands from 1.8 through 432 MHz.

Aren't you going to ask me if this was military communications or State
Department communications?

No. I recognize this as an amateur radio discussion group, and I
recognize that you are finally addressing amateur radio operations.
Congratulations.

Maybe you can congratulate Len as well, if he ever gets back from the
Korean War.

Why did you stop at 432 MHz? Even most store bought amateur UHF rigs
are capable of going up to 450 Mhz.

Weak signal work on SSB and CW takes place in that area of the band.

It may. Or it may not.

My logs say that it does.

That's where I happen to spend much of my time. Is that all right with
you?

Peachy.

Oh, uhhh. Forgot. Superior Heil "doan do FM (tm Kelly)"

I have a 440 rig at home. I use it occasionally. I use 2m FM

So your statement of frequency ranges above is inaccurate. It would
more accurately read, "1.8 to 450 MHz."

It is much more accurate than your statements in which you could not
properly attribute the words "of my own choosing".

regularly. Looks like you've struck out on your attempt to hit a nerve,
little electrolyte.

No attempt made. I just figured that such a great ham as yourself was
short changing himself with such a limited portfolio of RF activity.

You may consider my words as a mere summary.

I can go on and on without ever
touching the recorded and evidencible facts of having spent three
years being actively involved with the latter. That grates on you.

Three years? Three measly years? It grates on me that you'd dare
compare your three years to my experience and pretend to have a lock on
knowledge.

Grates on you, huh?

Figure it out.

No problem.

Then why'd you ask a question?

Some people learn faster than others. Look at everyone's vastly
different learning experiences with Morse Cose to see what I mean.
Some are never able to learn it at all.

Learning rate isn't under discussion. Experience is.

Ah, No. You specifically said, "knowledge." Think about it. Can one
attain knowledge only through experience?

Most certainly.

But with respect to radio theory and ops, perhaps Len is a quicker
learner than you. Perhaps not.

Ask him.

I wonder what he would say?

Let me repeat: Ask him.

You tell me everyone if learns the same, and if so, I'll have to give
you this one.

Figure it out.

Ah, sorry. You don't get this one.

You can't give what isn't yours.

Unless Len actually has more than just the three years
RF experience that you reference.

Ask him. I'm sure he'll be happy to go on about it at great length.

Much like your military and dept. of state resume?

Resume? You mean the summary to counter Len's absurdity?

And what of education? Can education play a role in knowledge?

Figure it out.

Ah, you don't get this one either.

Ah, you haven't figured it out.

Dave, you deserve a much needed vacation from rrap. At least consider
it.

I've considered it. My response is: No.

Dave K8MN