Old August 17th 03, 11:18 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Vshah101" wrote in message
From Larry, K3LT

I regret to inform you that "Restructuring" the US Amateur Radio

Service's
licensing system, to reduce the code testing speed to 5 WPM for General
and Extra class, in addition to the existing No-Code Technician-class
license, has resulted in a whopping 1.79 percent growth rate in the ARS
overall! What do you suppose we're gonna get from No-Code HF? Maybe
2 percent?

The base of EEs can be expanded. You can get more EE from the rf

specialty.
Not all EEs have an interest in that specialty. But, from those that do,
amateur radio could be a good hobby.

Amateur radio is not an EE friendly hobby. Those that like to build

circuits
are not welcomed as those that want to learn Morse code, contest, or work

DX.
EEs that are put off by Hams don't join the hobby.

You keep putting out this misinformation. I know of no one who has not been
welcomed into ham radio. Everyone is welcom. As far as building circuits,
again everyone is welcome. When someone in our club mentions that they are
building something, others ask about the progress of the project and help if
needed.

As, I have noted before, the quality of rf courses could be improved with

ARRL
publications. The projects have real, rather than just textbook

applications.
This is not being currently done in most colleges.

Secondly, EEs are not joining amateur radio clubs. Some Profs that teach

rf
courses that I took do not have amateur radio licenses. People in the rf

field
are not attending club meetings.

It is not the business of a university or college to promote ham radio. The
university will have no higher percentage of hams than the general
population. Unless one is or wants to become a ham, there is no need for
someone to attend ham club meetings. There is no requirement that EE
professors be hams or need for them to be so.

The ARRL should make more efforts in this area. This would increase the

number
of people in the hobby. Also, there is a strong connection between EE and
amateur radio that is not being realized.

As with any organization, the ARRL has limited resources. They must pick
and choose where to apply those resources. Recruiting new hams is something
that can be done easily and cheaply by individual hams via word of mouth if
they choose. It would be much more costly for the ARRL to try to do that
recruiting as they would need to purchase advertising on TV, radio, and in
the magazines and send recruiters out on lecture circuits to schools of all
levels. They just can't do it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE