Old August 18th 03, 04:11 AM
Dwight Stewart

"WA3IYC" wrote:

That 52,990 "increase" is not all new license
issues. (snip)

(snip) How "code proficient" any amateur is
cannot be determined from license class alone.

Of course, Jim. I clearly stated my numbers were a "rough estimate."

The important point is that the number of US hams
is growing at a slow rate. Restructuring did not
result in a big change in growth. (snip)

True. However, to make something out of that, one has to eliminate all
factors outside restructuring. In my last message, I hinted at factors such
as the attitude of current operators towards those new to ham radio. Today's
new operator faces more ridicule and harassment than perhaps any new
operator in the history of this activity. And lets face it, that new
operator is not likely going to invite friends or family members to join
after an negative exchange with Larry in this newsgroup (or someone like him
here or elsewhere). Clearly, the attitude of current operators has a role to
play in the lackluster growth of ham radio today, perhaps even far more than
restructuring at this point.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/