Old August 19th 03, 05:11 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Wrong..... All the arrl needs to do is create the PSA's and distribute them
to the various radio and/or television stations.
Commercial radio and television stations are REQUIRED to air a certain
amount of PSA announcements per day and being a non-profit, allegedly
service-based organization, that would definitely fit the bill. The only
cost involved is the creation of the tapes, and the distribution thereof.

As with any organization, the ARRL has limited resources. They must pick
and choose where to apply those resources. Recruiting new hams is

something
that can be done easily and cheaply by individual hams via word of mouth

if
they choose.

Aparently that has not worked like it should...... If the word of mouth
thing really worked, we have better numbers to have N2EY to post each month!
After all, how many times can we hit up our friends and relatives??

It would be much more costly for the ARRL to try to do that
recruiting as they would need to purchase advertising on TV, radio, and in
the magazines and send recruiters out on lecture circuits to schools of

all
levels. They just can't do it.

As far as sending out "recruiters," where the hell is this all-fired
important field organization?? Apparently there is a decent enough amount
of people that could direct people/groups to work on presentations! I
worked out a wonderful Powerpoint presentation to take to the schools and
tried and tried to get at least ONE person to assist me in going to the
30-40 schools just in my county alone! Not one person would help. I don't
have a ton of stuff along the lines of equipment to "impress upon" some of
these students so I wanted to enlist the help of others. My goal was to
attract ONE person from each school (not a huge effort) each year with this
plan. What really boiled my ass in all of this, was that to get information
regarding the ARRL (their brochures) was going to cost me a bunch of cash.
What the hell do these people pay dues for? Apparently the ARRL does not
have to justify where the money goes, although they allege to spend it in
the defense of amateur radio. I have asked in the past (as a possible
condition of choosing to be a member or not) as to where in DC the money
goes, and so far, still have not heard anything. Still have yet to see
proof that the ARRL is nothing more than an expensive subscription to a
magazine. (I do however think QST is a decent magazine, not the best, but
pretty good.)

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)