Old January 24th 04, 08:09 PM
The Eternal Squire

Default upside down vertical?

Hi all,

My wife wants to put up a birdfeeder and I want to put up a hidden antenna.
My landlords allow
only the former but seem to be winking at the latter as long as I can assure
them that it is absolutely
visible, temporary, and a hazard to no one. I also have friendly neighbors
with patios on either
side of my patio, and I have thier permission to mount the far side of a
wire on thier balconies.
The balconies are spaced about 20-30 feet apart.

I also have access to the ground outside so that I can mount a discreet
dowel row from the dirt to perhaps a few feet above my balcony, using a
clamp on the balcony to keep it steady on the top side.

My intention is to put the birdfeeder on a dowel rod which I have wound with
#30 white wire and spraypainted with white paint. The dowel rod would be
15-20 feet tall, so a helical for 10-80
meters might make a lot of sense.

Here's the big question: how badly would it hurt the helical's performance
to install it "upside down"? I would have a far easier time putting the
capacity hat on the dirt side and hiding the hat with sand, and then
mounting a 5-15 foot counter poise between balconies.

Thanks in advance,

The Eternal Squire

---