Old January 24th 04, 11:47 PM
Chris Campbell

(OK1SIP) wrote:
try to make a rectangular coil, about 1 ft x 1 ft, some 30 turns wound
by a fairly thin magnet wire (#25 to #30). Bring it into resonance at
60 kHz by a capacitor, some 8000 - 10000 pF. Place the coil
vertically, aiming to the transmitter, and place the clock to its
center. You do not need any mods of the clock. The signal should be
significantly stronger.

[I asked this a couple days ago but it was at the tail end of a longer
message so maybe that's why nobody replied.]

Can I stack wire turns, and if not, why not? It seems that all the
designs have the wire turns lined up next to each other like:

*****

and never

*****
*****
*****

Is there something about keeping each loop *exactly* the same
circumferential length (not even 0.2% difference) that dramatically
affects loop antenna performance? Or some other affect?

I'd like to fill a 5mm x 5mm cross section around the perimeter of the
clock with wire turns, which means stacking them.