Old August 22nd 03, 02:23 AM
Robert Casey

WA8ULX wrote:

Step Three: Utilize an alternative vocabulary. Use words like "destinated" and
"negatory". It's OK to make up your own words here. I.E. "Yeah Tom, I
"pheelbart zaphonix" occasionally myself."

Well, I hope you do that in the privacy of your own bedroom.....

Step Five: The better the copy on two meter FM, the more you should use
phonetics. Names should be especially used if they are short or common ones.
I.E. "My name is Al... Alpha Lima" or "Jack.. Juliet Alpha Charlie Kilo." If at
all possible use the less common HF phonetics "A4SM... America, Number Four,
Sugar Mexico." And for maximum "LID points", make up unintelligible phonetics.
"My name is Bob... Billibong Oregano Bumperpool."

This is "Knife Two Experiment Herb Xyzilphone" :-)

Step Eleven: Always make sure you try to communicate with only a handheld and a
rubber duck antenna. Also, make sure you work through a repeater that you can
hear very well, but it cannot hear you. This will put out a kind of "LID mating
call": "Well, Joe, I can hear the repeater just fine here. I wonder why it
can't hear me?" You will score maximum LID points if you are mobile, and with
the radio lying in the passenger seat.

Well, some machines are alligators (deaf receiver but powerful transmitter).
A few are "rabbits" (sensitive receiver but wimpy transmitter).

Step Eighteen: If you hear a conversation on a local repeater, break in and ask
how each station is receiving you. Of course they will only see the signal of
the repeater you are using, but it's that magic moment when you can find a
fellow "LID", and get the report. Extra points are awarded if you are using a
base station, and the repeater is less than twenty-five air miles from you.

This isn't as stupid as it first sounds. You are really asking how the
*repeater's receiver* is
hearing you. Maybe you just repaired your rig or antenna, and need to
know if it was
a success. As the repeater can't tell you, because it's not a human,
you ask the humans
who are hearing the repeater's output cleanly how you are doing.

Step Twenty One: Use lots of radio jargon. After all, it makes you feel
important using words ordinary people don't say. Who cares if it makes you
sound like you just fell off Channel 19 on the citizen's Band? Use phrases such
as "Roger on that", "10-4", "I'm on the side", "Your making the trip" and
"Negatory on that".

Takes a bit of time to unlearn CB habits.

Step Twenty Five: Always use a repeater, even if you can work the other station
easily on simplex ... especially if you can make the contact on simplex. The
coverage of the repeater you use should be inversely proportional to your
distance from the other station.

Especially if it's the most popular machine in town.....

Step Twenty Nine: Use "73" and "88" incorrectly. Both are already considered
plural, but add a "s" to the end anyway. Say "73's" or "88's". Who cares if it
means "best regards" and "love and kisses." Better yet, say "seventy thirds"!
(By the way, seventy thirds equals about 23.3).

I've heard "3's and 8's."