Old August 23rd 03, 06:37 AM
Len Over 21

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

This actually is quite good and applies to the old timers as well. I have
one question if anyone remembers back to around 1959. The guy who got me
*really* interested in amateur radio was Russ, W2ZS. I met him around 1959
or possibly 1960 and remember him making contacts when I was invited into
his shack. I do remember folks back when using "the handle here is ...".
My question is did that start with CB or did CB pick it up from amateurs
originally? It seems (at least back then) more like the Southern "y'all
come again real soon". Sort of folksy and warm if grammatically incorrect.

The term "handle" goes back before 1900 and is attributed mainly to
westerners, particularly cowboys. Etymologically in English, a
general form of handle is something that allows grasping an object.
So, one could "grasp" (understand or know) someone if they gave
you their name...hence, "my handle is Jim" (or whatever name).

Class C and D Citizens Band (the 11m variety) wasn't created until
1958 and the "my handle is..." phrase goes back well over a half
century before that in parts of the USA.

LHA.