Old August 28th 03, 01:53 PM
Mike Coslo

Dwight Stewart wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote:

some snippage

BUT! the individual tests can be "smartened" or
"dumbed". All that is up to us. We decide.

But we have to decide within the constraints of the intent of those tests.
To do that, we have to understand that intent. Far too many try to view the
Ham Radio license exams as some sort of knowledge exam, when they are
instead entrance exams into Ham Radio.

I won't disagree with your basic premise, but therin lies danger.

And Ham Radio is a recreation, not a
vocation.

And there is the trap! There are many recreations that require some
learning to effectively use and enjoy them. Fishing and boating come to
mind. I have a boat. I never took a test for its use, although I got a
little pamphlet when I got my license. Whenever I bought a fishing
license, I got another little pamphlet explaining seasons and creel
limits, which are pretty darn analogous to band edges and power limits.
But no tests.

The FCC has other exams designed to examine vocational knowledge,
as do local colleges and universities. Given those facts, I see no reason to
change the existing written exams.

Just be on guard, because others do.

- Mike KB3EIA -