Old August 29th 03, 12:46 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

And there is the trap! There are many recreations
that require some learning to effectively use and
enjoy them. Fishing and boating come to mind. I
have a boat. I never took a test for its use,
although I got a little pamphlet when I got my
license. (snip)

The difference lies in the use of that recreation. As you know, Ham Radio
also serves a purpose outside pure recreation (emergency service, for
example). Therefore, the FCC took a more proactive approach, but one that is
not that different from other recreations with a more serious side.

Lets take your boat as an example. For pure recreation, you obviously do
not need a license or operating exam. However, if you join an organization
like the CG Auxiliary with the intent to use that boat for a more serious
purpose, you are expected to take courses, pass exams, and maintain the boat
to certain standards. The same is true for CAP and other similar mainly
recreational activities with a serious side.

Do you follow what I'm saying here? I'm trying to simplify things, while
still getting across the point.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/