Old August 29th 03, 03:07 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Just even one more proof of what I mean. Attempting to control free

speech
when a differing opinion occurs....
Why should they have exclusive control of the whole amateur community

when
they only represent (roughly) a quarter of the population?

You keep saying I should join, but why should I?? List specific

reasons,
backed by facts. Not vague generalities or "big-brother/mafioso-like"
reasons? All it is, is a very expensive magazine subscription, so

let's
not
kid ourselves.

They are not trying to control free speech. Show your proof that they

are
doing so. They establish policies based on the input of their

membership
as
does any other organization. They then carry through on that policy.
Naturally not every member agrees with it but if we had to have a

unanimous
consensus nothing would ever get done. And they have no reason or
obligation to pay any attention to the opinions of non-members.

They do not have nor try to have exclusive control of the whole amateur
community. Show your proof that they do. They establish goals based on
what their membership wants. That is what any organization does. Again
they have no reason or obligation to establish their goals based on the
opinions of non-members.

You seem to expect them to roll over and adopt YOUR opinion. That's
unrealistic. Whether you join or not is your business of course. But
unless you are a member, you have no right to expect to control their
policies or for them to listen to your opinions and adopt your opinions.

If
you want to change them, join. If you aren't willing to join, don't

expect
to change them. That's pretty simple.

I know why I am a member. They can do things that I cannot.
1) Take the current BPL situation. They have the finances and

facilities
to do the research that I can't afford. That is but one of many things.
2) Product tests/reviews. I can't afford to buy all the test

equipment,
every new radio, antenna, etc and run my own comparisons.
... and so on.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee,

Well said!

For all those that complain about ARRL, no one has effectively
started an alternative in all these years. I see ARRL as the best
bang for my buck on most matters of amateur issues. I departed from
ARRL position on the code issue and have been a director of
NCI because of that ONE issue. The point is, that NCI, while
a separate org from ARRL, is not trying to replace ARRL's
role in amateur issues EXCEPT on the code/nocode test issue...
and of late, there's less disparity there then 5 years ago.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Although I do not agree with you on the code issue, I do commend you for
going out and DOING something rather than sitting back and whining as so
many are prone to do. Not only did you join an organization that supported
your point of view but you obviously became actively involved since you are
one of the directors. I would suspect, however, that you are still a member
of the ARRL even though you disagreed on one issue. i.e. You did not expect
the ARRL to be a single issue organization.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE