Old September 3rd 03, 11:14 AM
S. Hanrahan

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:51:00 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

We might consider the arguments presented in the book "The Art and Skill of
Radiotelegraphy". The author had done extensive study on Morse code
teaching methods, learning abilities, etc. His definition of proficiency is
along the lines of what level must a person obtain to prevent forgetting it.
Basically his research showed that those who achieved 13wpm did not forget
the code even if they did not use it. They would get "rusty" so to speak
and their speed would fall off if they did not use it but they would not
forget it. Once they resumed using it, their speed would fairly quickly
climb back to their previous level. That would seem like a reasonable
definition.

I can attest to that. Having been without an antenna for nearly a
year some time ago, my speed fell way off, but I retained what each
letter in code was.

Contests are a good way to get the code speed back up to snuff in no
time, if you're "rusty". Of course, the first few hours are a beast,
but by the time the contest is over, you're working QSO's in your
sleep. LOL

Stacey, AA7YA