Old September 4th 03, 03:35 AM
Bob Brock

On 2 Sep 2003 14:41:13 GMT, "Dick Carroll;" wrote:

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

How do you justify a trained group of communicators that are versed in
a mode that is as useful and needed as CW is? There isn't an emergency
right now.

It's especially hard when the emergency management agencies have
no use for a cadre of CW ops ... it's not the type of communications
that they want or need.

KT4ST has shown that to be untrue.

One person's opinion ... and a person who clearly has a pro-Morse bias
from his ham perspective. He's the ONLY EMS person I've EVER heard
from who seriously considered Morse a truly valuable and necessary part
of emergency communications, and I've been involved in emergency
communications for over 25 years.

However, with all due respect, Carl, I don't
think you'd be the most effective salesman for the mode...

It's not my job to be a salesman for Morse ... that's up to the people
who like Morse and care to promote its use ... but they shouldn't
insist on a govt. enforced "recruiting program" (which as I have pointed
out is, in my view, actually counter-productive as it turns more against
Morse than it "sells").

Just as the CW NTS nets are anachronisms ...

What about SSB NTS nets? Are they anachronisms?

A CW NTS net can handle more traffic in less time using less spectrum than

an
SSB NTS net. Been there, done that.

But let's face it ... most of the traffic handled via NTS is 1) of little/no
importance
and 2) much makes use of "coded messages" (sending a canned message number)
that would be of little use in an emergency situation where the situation,
needs,
details would need to be spelled out in some detail.

Sorry, the "Morse is necessary for emergency communications" argument
doesn't
hold water, and the FCC has already realized that.

Carl - wk3c

Let's face it- Carl just hates Morse code, despite his many protests to the contrary.
It's really not that difficult to understand - after all, he hears all that digital data
flying past his ears and the old nternal modem just won't work on it! Ah, the pain! The
Frustration! The Agony!

You just can't help sympathyzing with his plight. The ONLY way for him to find relief is
to slay that dreaded dragon under the bed.....

Well, that was a well thought our and logical rebuttal in a falicious
kind of way. If a more logical argument than that can't be made,
don't be suprised if the FCC doesn't agree with your proposal.