Old January 26th 04, 08:05 PM
Steve Nosko

Sumptin's wrong wi dis picture, Sir Squire.

If the capacity hat is at the bottom, what will then be at the top? The
counterpoise??

What were you intending to put at the bottom of the "non-inverted" version?
Radials, or just a ground rod?

Is the intended design a ground-plane type vertical (1/4 wave -or rather a
shortened 1/4 wave), or a di-pole (1/2 wave or rather a shortened 1/2 wave -
center or end fed) type?

It would seem to me that the bird house could be a pretty good "capacity
hat" as it would have quite a bit of capacitance to the universe, being a
pretty good volume of conductive material (since you would make sure it is
conductive, that is). Also, I can easily see a "squirrel baffle" right
below the bird house which, being made of metal, makes a pretty good
addition to the "Bird hat".

...Now, the question is, how much de-tuning will the bigger birds have ??....
Stand-by fellas. I have to go out and chase the owl off my antenna to get
the antenna tuned back to the top of the band.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"The Eternal Squire" wrote in message
Hi all,

My wife wants to put up a birdfeeder and I want to put up a hidden

antenna.

My intention is to put the birdfeeder on a dowel rod which I have wound

with
#30 white wire and spraypainted with white paint. The dowel rod would

be
15-20 feet tall, so a helical for 10-80 meters might make a lot of sense.

Here's the big question: how badly would it hurt the helical's

performance
to install it "upside down"? ....
The Eternal Squire