Old September 6th 03, 06:01 PM
Dee D. Flint

"K0HB" wrote in message
news:b71720b321f483edfb53ce7de21e4078.128005@mygat e.mailgate.org...
Between February 14, 1991 and July 5, 1991, the Commission granted 1,925
new Technician class licenses under the no-code provisions. A couple of
guys have done research which shows that 1,880 of those licenses have
not been renewed or upgraded to a higher class license and are beyond
the two year grace period. That equates to a retention rate of only
2.3%.

Any ideas for increasing the reenlistment rate?

73, de Hans, K0HB

This is sheer speculation but I would guess that the reason the retention
rate is so low is that a lot of the no-code tech licenses were the result of
the licensed ham in the family urging family members to get a license so
they could stay in touch via 2m as they bog around town since they didn't
have to convince the family members to take code. Ten years later, it's a
whole different world. There are cheap cell phones that fulfill this need
nicely. For use out camping, there are cheap FRS radios. To keep in touch
with someone in the next town, there are internet chat capabilities.

In a sense, we have come full circle back to where we will only be able to
get and keep those who develop an interest in the radio hobby itself rather
than using it for personal communications among family members who are
otherwise not interested in radio.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE