Old September 6th 03, 06:45 PM
Jim Hampton

Kim, Hans was pointing out the large (apparent) numbers of *codeless* techs
not renewing their licenses. My guess is that close to 100% of their
operation (if, indeed, they did operate) was on FM. As far as the noise on
HF, that may be one reason I never cared for contests. I spent time on 40
during the day and 160 in the evening. For the distance, I simply preferred
CW. Back in the pre-DSP days, a 250 Hz filter did wonders. Noise?
Non-existent.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

Sigh. How 'bout this: ever consider that a lot of CBers did, indeed, hear
of the new requirements (lower CW testing standards) and decide to get

into
ham radio for....guess what: FM!!!!!???? When I was "into" CB radio, I

was
barely ever on AM. There's a whole "other" gang of participants out there
on CB--and the mentors of that group are mostly hams. The USB/LSB and,
alas, FM--yes, illegal but done--part of CB is an area where you'll find
people who are courteous, have "gentlemen's" rules that are followed;

where
people experiment with antenna design and construction; where an "eyeball"
meeting is just as likely; etc.

When I was drawn to and got my ticket, you know what the greatest relief
was? Being able to turn a radio on and not hear all that hissing,
heterodyning, etc.!!! FM is great and that is what I like most about ham
radio. HF sucks for all the noise. So, no need/interest to upgrade.

And,
everyone else was as relieved and impressed with FM also. Listening to HF
brings back those days when we had to deal with all that noise. And, it's
not a pretty memory.

Kim W5TIT

---