Old September 7th 03, 11:03 PM
JRM

On Sunday 07 September 2003 11:09 am, Rich M wrote:

Consider: If one were to set up two PC's with full
internet capability & CD-ROM burners, and six
feet away, two HFham stations with control op's
at a hamfest.

Next you invite 10 young people (14-17 yo) at random who have
no previous exposure to ham radio from the crowd to
choose which items to explore and operate.
Which of these two setup's do you think that
in the end-game, the greater percentage of
young people would choose to bring home if they
had the option to do so?

(My guess is they'll want to download MP3's
from Kazaa or Morpheus instead of calling
CQ on 10 Meters thru a microphone)

Consider: It's 1955 and you set up the 2 ham stations above and 6 feet away
you set up some baseballs, bat's, and gloves.

Next you invite 10 young people (14-17 yo) at random who have
no previous exposure to ham radio from the crowd to
choose which items to explore and operate.
Which of these two setup's do you think that
in the end-game, the greater percentage of
young people would choose to bring home if they
had the option to do so?

Amateur radio is not now or ever has been for "normal" people. It's for the
techie's, geeks and nerds. Where do the young techie's, geeks and nerds
look for information? The Internet. What kind of information will they
find? Almost nothing but bitching.

Really, in all my hobbies that I check out on the net I have never see such
a nasty bunch of adults acting like 8 year olds. I know it's a vocal
minority making the noise but it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

The internet should/could be one of the best things to ever happen to
Amateur radio. And it falls on us to make it happen.

--
John R. Marshall

The Hotrodding Network is Back!
http://www.hotrodding.net