Old September 12th 03, 03:22 AM
N2EY

In article t, "Dan/W4NTI"
w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article . net,

"Dan/W4NTI"
w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

But, I'll bet, if you think about it.....it made you a better operator.

It
was a SKILL you HAD TO LEARN in order to StAY ON THE AIR? Think about

it.

'zactly. No other option. The Novice was not supposed to be a permanent
license. That's why it had so few privileges and was so focused,

And the old Novice had another feature - it was a one-time one year

license
until 1967, when it became two years. Which meant that you either upgraded
before the license ran out or you were off the air. The Novice year/2

years was
a big learning time. Lotta incentive!

In fact, one of the reasons FCC gave us incentive licensing was that they
perceived a drop off in learning after the Novice year.

Most sensible newbies in those times had at least a receiver and antenna

set up
and working before they went for the Novice exam. They'd spent serious

time
listening to hams on the air before ever taking a test. They knew which

bands
were best at various times of day and year simply from observation. They
developed a lot of operating skills and knowledge of operating practices

before
ever getting a transmitter.

When the Novice became 5 year renewable, that incentive went away.

We're not going to get the mfrs. to stop making IC-706s and start making

S-40s,
so what's the solution?

73 de Jim, N2EY

That was the beginning of the 'dumbing down' process. We can thank Dick
Bash for his books on really tearing a hole in the fabric of the service.

Yup. And FCC refused to go after him, even though Phil Kane and others had the
goods on the guy.

Then when Heathkit folded its tent and went away was the final blow to the
golden age of ham radio.

Ikensu killed Heathkit and others. When a TS-520 cost about $600 complete, who
was gonna pay over $500 for an HW-101 and power supply?

From that point on it has been downhill, more and more bitching and moaning
about the code requirement. Making the test easier....more numbers. etc.
etc.

What is the answer Jim?

Comments to the FCC, for one thing. Comments for what we want and against what
we don't. On every petition, proposal, RM, NPRM, NOI or whatever alphabet soup
comes along. ECFS makes it easy. Maybe we won't win but they will not be able
to say there was no opposition.

Setting an example is another. Walk the talk. Build the rigs, put up the
antennas, keep the bands hopping. Write articles for QST and other mags. Give
talks at ham clubs. Do a station on FD for the local club. Etc.

Danged if I know. But what I do know is I am
going to return to my roots in ham radio. While I can still do so
physically, where gentlemen and ladies still exist and where I feel
welcome. That place is safe from the infringement of morons and clowns.

And you know where that is.

Sure. It's a place I never left.

73 de Jim, N2EY