Old January 27th 04, 11:08 AM
Reg Edwards

HF2V/160S means nothing to me. I assume it is a coil loaded vertical.

Extending a loading wire from the top will seriously lower the top-band
resonant frequency. Unless the loading coil is variable the loading wire
will shift the resonant frequency right outside the band.

Assuming the coil inductance can be reduced, eg., shorted turns, then top
capacitance loading will work nicely.

Extending the top sideways, even at an angle of 45 degrees below the
horizontal, will considerably improve all-round performance. The longer the
make an inverted-U out of it.

But a lot depends on the local environment.

The ground connection/system is just as important as the antenna. A single
ground rod is not of any use unless it is all you have got. With good
garden soil a system equivalent to half-dozen shortish radials, preferably
shallow buried, will get you somewhere. Include the incoming water main and
domestic plumbing system in the ground system. On 160m include all you can
find.

Amuse yourself with program LOADCOIL.
----
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

"Dave Richardson"
Hi thanks for reading.
I'm trying to maximise the DX capabilities of my new HF2V/160S on top

band.
Butternut recommend top loading wires, mainly for increasing the bandwidth
but some say this reduces the effective height, leading to detrimental
effects as a DX antenna?
Also, mine sways around like a whip in the wind so I'd imagine the loading
wires would have to be very slack?
I dont particularly need extra bandwidth so am unsure whether to go to the
bother?

Do you have any experience of top loading this or similar LF antennas?
Thanks in advance for any tips. 73 Dave G4GED