Old September 13th 03, 03:25 PM
N2EY

In article . net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"N2EY" wrote

3) "Basic" license test is simple 20-25 question
exam on regs, procedures, and safety. Very little
technical and RF exposure stuff. Main objective
is to keep Basics out of trouble. Basics get
200-50 watts on HF/MF and 25 watts or so on
VHF/UHF (power level is below the point where
RF exposure evaluation required). Modes are
CW, analog voice, PSK31, RTTY and many of
the other common data modes like packet. Basics
cannot be VEs, control ops for repeaters, or club
trustees. Basics get most VHF/UHF and about
half of HF/MF spectrum, including parts of all
subbands-by-mode. Basic is meant as the entry
level. Easy to get, lots of privs, yet there's still a
reason to upgrade. (snip)

(snip)

9) Existing Novices, Techs and Tech Pluses
become Basics, (snip)

What is the justification for sharply cutting back on existing Tech and
Tech Plus privileges?

You snipped the second sentence of 9), Dwight. Here it is again:

9) Existing Novices, Techs and Tech Pluses become Basics,
existing Generals and Advanceds become Intermediates, and
existing Extras become Fulls. Existing hams can continue to
use their current privileges as long as they retain license
documents showing their old license class.

"Existing hams can continue to use their current privileges as long as they
retain license documents showing their old license class."

Just like Tech Pluses who have been renewed as Techs can still use HF, and
anybody with an old Novice or code-tested-Tech license document gets Element 1
credit. If FCC accepts the idea for those uses, why not for the above?

IOW, no existing ham loses any privileges.

73 de Jim, N2EY

We can presently use up to 1500 watts on VHF/UHF. You
suggest a 25 watt limit. We can currently be repeater control ops. You
suggest we shouldn't. We currently have no limits on operating modes. You
propose limits. Since there have been no serious problems reported in any of
these areas, I don't see a justification for any of these changes.